Using Cleansing Cloths
How to Cleanse Your Skin Before Surgery With Cleansing Cloths
Reduce the Risk of Infection by Using Cleansing Cloths
Before surgery, you have an important role in reducing your risk of infection at the surgery site. You can reduce the number of germs on your skin by gently cleansing your skin with the Sage ® 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate Cloths.
Important: Do not shave your body below your neck 1-2 days before your surgery.
The night before surgery, take a bath or shower. Wait 1-2 hours. Wipe your skin well with the Sage cloths. They have a special antiseptic solution. Use both of the cloths in each of the three packages.
Please do not follow the instructions on the Sage packages when cleansing your skin. Follow the instructions below.
Night Before Surgery
(At least 1-2 hours after taking a bath or shower)
- Gather your supplies: three packages of the Sage 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate Cloths, scissors, and clean clothes or sleepwear.
- Open all three packages. Remove the cellophane wrapper and throw away. Use scissors to cut open the packages. Cut straight across the top of each package.
- Reach into one of the three open packages. Take out two cloths at one time with the foam holder and put them on a clean surface. Repeat for the second and third packages.
- After you start using the cloths, do not touch your eyes, ears or mouth.
- Gently cleanse your skin using a back-and-forth motion. Be sure to completely cover each area. You may need help wiping some areas of your body:
- Using the first cloth, wipe your neck and chest.
- Using the 2nd cloth, wipe both arms. Start at hour shoulder and end at the fingertips. Be sure to wipe well under each arm and in the armpit areas.
- Using the third cloth, wipe your right and left hip, then your groin. Be sure to wipe any folds in the stomach and groin areas.
- Using the fourth cloth, wipe both legs. Start at the thigh and end at the toes. Be sure to wipe the front and back of each leg.
- Using the fifth cloth, wipe your back. Start at the base of your neck and end at the buttocks.
- Using the sixth (last) cloth, rewipe your entire body (front and back) from your neck to your ankles. Be sure to wipe well any folds in the stomach and groin areas.
After you gently cleanse each area, let your skin air dry fro 1-3 minutes. It is normal for your skin to feel tacky or sticky for several minutes after you apply the solution.
- Do not rinse or rub off the solution
- Do not apply deodorant, perfume, lotions, moisturizers, gels, powders or make-up after cleaning your skin.
- Throw away the used cloths.
- Wash your hands with warm water and soap.
- Put on clean clothes or sleepwear.